Stream A: 10-Min Tutorial to Apply for a Study Permit | CCC

CCCVancouverPathway to PR

Stream A: 10-Min Tutorial to Apply for a Study Permit | CCC

Introduction of Stream A and Study Permit

Stream A Immigration and the study permit application are the two frequently discussed topics in Hong Kong lately. Due to the unpredictable nature of the Hong Kong government, it is difficult for the public to keep up.

It is only a matter of time before many citizens plan to leave Hong Kong. But once you start searching for Canada study permit application, you will find that many “real” Canada student visa refusals are shared by people in the discussion forums. For example, people say there is a high chance of a Canadian study visa rejection due to age; accompanying a child into Canada not only increases the chance of rejection, it also prevents the child from entering a public school. However, you might find another set of information when you check the Canadian government website. That is why we are here to help!

This article will guide you to know all the practical operation in detailed. Let’s take 10 minutes to learn about the Stream A immigration program and tips for getting a Canada study permit (Visa) easily. The three most discussed topics in Hong Kong are:

  1. Accompanying children;
  2. What if my PR application is rejected;
  3. Is it difficult to graduate from school.

Canada has a large number of private schools, and it is undeniable that these schools have relatively few entry requirements compared to public schools. This has led to a misconception that a study permit can easily be refused.

 How to check DLI schools?

“What kind of school should I go to?”

The Immigration Policy of Stream A programs sets out the requirements for applicants to attend. The original excerpt is as follows:

According to the policy, there are basically 5 major requirements that need to be met in order to enroll in a eligible program for Stream A. 

The most important part is the requirements for the program, which must be provided by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). All the latest DLI Accreditation Bodies will be updated on the official website. You can find out whether the program of the institutions you are interested in meet the requirements or not.

The first step to checking if the institution you are interested in is a DLI is to select the province; enter the keyword of the institution, then you can see the DLI number, the city in which it is located, and whether it offers a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The DLI number will be used when filling out the Canada study permit application.

Kindly note, the PGWP is NOT required for Stream A applicants. Generally, only public institutions can provide PGWP. However, your Canadian study permit is still valid for 3 months (90 days) after you graduate, during which time the PR is usually approved. And it can be converted to a visitor visa even if the processing time is longer than expected. The upcoming content will clearly show you how to stay in Canada while waiting for your PR application to be approved.

Secondly, if you have graduated for more than 5 years, the 1-year graduate or post-graduate diploma/certificate program will be no longer applicable. The reason is that the designated applicant must complete the program within 5 years of graduation as one of the Stream A requirements.

But choosing to pursue an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in Canada, or even a two-year post-secondary diploma are all eligible to apply for a Permanent resident through Stream A. Before enrolling, remember to confirm with the institution if half or more of the entire program can be taken within Canada. For example, schools can clearly demonstrate to students the total number of lecture hours, weeks or credits so students will see whether they are able to meet the requirement to take at least 50% of the program inside Canada. Failure to state the details in the study plan may result in a study permit rejection.

In conclusion, there is no limit to the course that you will be choosing as long as it is conducted by a DLI institution and 50% of the courses will be conducted within Canada.

How do 50+ senior students apply for a Canada study permit?

For Hong Kong people with mediocre academic qualifications, who have graduated from Form 5 or 6 or have a technical advanced diploma, there is no need to worry about the study permit rejection.

Some institutions in Canada have simple requirements to facilitate admission for Hong Kong people who are interested in studying and immigrating. To accommodate those applicants who have been graduated from school for a long time, many institutions have lowered admission requirements to basic English proficiency. Many people over the age of 30 also worry that their study permit will be refused because of age. As Canada is a diverse country, age is never an obstacle for attending school. 

To increase the chance of a study permit approval, all you need to do is to write a reasonable study plan, which you will need to submit to IRCC along with your study permit application. You must be able to clearly explain your reasons for studying in Canada and all your statements must not contradict themselves, for example:

Never mention the intention to immigrate to Canada

When applying, you must coherently explain how this study will help your personal career development back in your home country (e.g. Hong Kong), and you must not construct a reason that will be questionable, otherwise it will be difficult to justify it and lead to a rejection of the study permit.

How can I stay in Canada after graduating from a private institution without a PGWP?

Scenario 1. Expect to simply stay in Canada legally and wait for PR approval results

If you just want to stay in Canada pending approval, your study permit will have an additional 90-day validity period after graduation, this allows you to work part-time (up to 20 hours) while you wait (as long as your study permit is valid) for the PR result.

Even if you need to extend your legal stay in the country, you can easily change your study permit to a one-year visitor visa, or take a short program to extend your study permit. However, the Hong Kong passport itself already allows Hong Kongers to enjoy a legal stay of 6 months.

Scenario 2. Expect to work in Canada legally and wait for PR approval results

Some people hope to work full-time during the waiting period. Immigration consultants have some tips for extending such legal stay. Please contact a licensed consultant for details

Accompanying children to enroll at low-entry courses

Many people concerned that their children will not be able to attend school if they come to Canada together. No worries! As long as you successfully obtain a study permit, your children can attend a local school in Canada.

The only thing is that not every province in Canada allows accompanying children to attend public schools for free. Therefore, you need to decide if you want your kids to go to school for free, or if you’d prefer to go to some cities like Vancouver but may have to pay tuition. Due to different provincial policies, planning and decision-making should be made as early as possible.

Programs with low entry requirements to help you graduate faster and get the PR

Many institution in Vancouver offer programs that are fully eligible for Stream A. For example, Create Career College, located in Burnaby, offers 5 two-year post-secondary diploma programs that qualify for the Stream A pathway. The programs include Digital MarketingWeb Design and DevelopmentBusiness AdministrationHospitality Management, and Accounting, which are very popular locally.

For the first year of theoretical lectures part, it can be taken remotely via Zoom (you are not limited to being in Hong Kong or any country). The second year will be a 1-year co-op/internship with wages paid within Canada. 

Entry requirements for this program are relatively lower compared to public schools, as long as you are at least 19 years old with a Form 5 diploma and pass our free online English placement test.

To wrap up, it is definitely not difficult to get PR through Stream A application and hopefully this article answers most of the frequently expressed concerns about immigrating to Canada.