Student Life - Tips for International Students

Visa information

Most international students need a study permit to study in Canada for longer than 6 months. Please click on the following link for details on how to obtain a study permit:

If you are studying for a duration of six months or less you will likely need either a visitor’s visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada depending on which country you are from.

Please check the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for current information before making travel plans.

A Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. For more information, please visit

To apply for a visa, contact the nearest Canadian visa centre. Many visa offices have specific local instructions concerning the documentation to be submitted with your application.

To take a closer look at the visa process, and various types of visas, please visit

What to Bring

When you arrive in Canada, you must bring the following:

  • Valid passport,
  • Valid visa/permit, depending on your country of origin and purpose of stay,
  • Proof of sufficient funds,
  • Return airline ticket, depending on your visa/permit,
  • Letter of acceptance from the school you will be attending, and
  • Confirmation of accommodation in Canada (homestay letter, if you have requested one)

Medical Services Plan (MSP)

Health insurance is mandatory for all international students studying on a valid study permit for at least six months of the year in British Columbia, Canada.

International students are required to apply for the MSP (B.C.’s health-care coverage) as soon as they arrive in British Columbia. The health-care coverage fee for all international students is $75 per month.

Before health-care coverage begins, there is a wait period consisting of the balance of the month that residency is established, plus two months. International students should carry private insurance until this wait period ends and provincial coverage begins. Detailed information about MSP is available here.

How to Apply


Students can apply online at The online application takes about 15 minuets.


Students can also apply by mail using a paper application form:

Mail the completed application form to:

Health Insurance BC
Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9678 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC   V8W 9P7

Detailed information about How to Apply is available here.

Other Medical Services

Make appointment(link):Midtown Medical Clinic

Midtown Medical Clinic (MMC) is a modern health care center providing high-quality primary family medicine Greater Vancouver Area for 11 years. The clinic is also proud to be one of the UBC Medical School teaching sites.

MMC Lab is the newly authorized Point of Care Testing (POCT)lab in BC to run COIVD-19 PCR/NAAT test.

MMC currently provides rapid and urgent Pre-departure COVID-19 PCR/NAAT and Antigen tests for all asymptomatic air travelers.

Also, MMC is cooperating with many business partners, such as Air Canada.